What is sex trafficking?
The term “sex trafficking” means the recruitment, harboring, transportation, provision, or the obtaining of a person for the purpose of commercial sex acts, where such sex acts are induced by force, fraud or coercion.
Facts about sex trafficking
Sex trafficking of young girls age 12-18 is a serious problem and we want to do something to stop this cycle of abuse.
- Average starting age for girl’s to be trafficked is 12-14
- Sex trafficking victims experience extreme violence, forced drug use, and constant threats
- The Twin Cities metro area is among the nation’s 13 largest centers for child prostitution with Minneapolis as the home base of a large domestic prostitution ring.
- Each month in MN at least 213 girls are sold for sex, an average of five times per day, through the internet and escort services.
- On any given weekend night in MN 45 girls under the age of 18 are sold for sex through the internet and escort services
- Over 50% of all domestic prostitution victims are classified as runaway youth living on the street
- Native Americans are being trafficked at a higher rate than other races